Friday, November 7, 2014

self made eye protector

As far as I can remember, I´ve never ever took part on a single keiko without an eye protector inside my men.

Unfortunately, some greedy kendo shops dare to fetch about 15€ for a single, clear piece of plastic, duh.

I finally tried to copy these by myself, and I think it worked pretty well:


What do we need?

Polycarbonate (PC-Plastic) 2mm (about 17€ for 40cmx50cm - about 9 pieces when cut)
(DON`T use Polystyrene or so called "Plexiglas" which will snap and break easily. Polycarbonate is much more stronger and prone to breaking)
A scriber.
Pliers.
Deburring tool or exacto knife.

Step 1. 
Lay an old visor onto the plastic for tracing.
Leave the white foil on, important!





Step 2.  
Trace the outlines deeply with the scriber 
(2-3 times)
Keep caution not to get off track, press your "template" firmly.



Step 3. 
Use the pliers and carefully snap the parts along the lines.
Be careful not to scrape the OK-part with the pliers.


Step 4.
Use a deburring tool (or exactoknife / file)
to smooth out the edges.


Lastly remove the foil and presto, there you go!


No comments:

Post a Comment